Most students forget to take into consideration where they want to live and work in the future. Although it sounds like a trivial question, it is important that you find which work environment is ideal for you before you apply at university.
Here are 11 questions that you need to ask yourself:
- Do you want to live in big cosmopolitan city, in a mid-sized one, or in a rural area?
- Do you prefer working in a small entrepreneurial company or a national/ international one?
- If you had to choose between working for a non-profit or for profit company, which one would you go for?
- Do you want to work in the private sector or the public one?
- Would you most enjoy working on your own or as part of a team?
- Do you want your job to include travel or not at all? If yes, how much?
- Do you prefer working outdoors or indoors?
- What type of clothes do you want to wear at work? A suit/trendy clothes/uniform or whatever you want?
- Would you prefer the atmosphere at work to be casual or formal?
- Are you interested in working in a structured and hierarchical setting or would you prefer a creative and collaborative one?
- Would you consider living in another country for some time or not?
Although you might be flexible for the majority of these topics, it will be beneficial to understand what your ideal working environment is; the environment where you can excel.
Even if you don’t have all the answers yet, it’s ok. Now that you are aware of these 11 questions, you will start noticing things that you didn’t before.
Korina Karampela is the founder of b4iapply, author of 2 books, consultant and speaker.